Re: Running multiple instances

From: <punkdali_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:50:25 GMT

I was having the same trouble and after entering the 2nd instance into the oratab file and flagging it to Y so that the dbstart file automatically starts the instance at startup I was able to get two to run simultaneously. the best way to choose which database you want is to update the your startup script(unix: .profile) to ask what database you want to use. this is pretty clear in the installation doc's, under what to do as root. i ran into a problem with the syntax of using awk in the example they provided but someone was able to show me the light.

In article
<FB1B4E1C14A211FA.BD33C6D28CA112F9.F715C0B211ED8A9F_at_lp.airnews.net>,   "wozi" <wozi_at_dhc.net> wrote:
> I have over 200MB of RAM. The SGA is pretty
small. When one instance is
> running, I try to start the second the instance,
the error is that oracle is
> already running. It tell me to shutdown before I
can start another instance.

> Alex Hudghton wrote in message

<7o66rc$4nr$1_at_taliesin.netcom.net.uk>...

> >wozi wrote in message
>
><519E837776452E26.77351C6E0665D2E4.C3C736C3376BBFAB_at_lp.airnews.net>...
> >>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0
> >>
> >>I have installed the started database from
Oracle 8.05. I am able to
> >connect
> >>from a client. I have also installed another
database instance called
> >PROD.
> >>
> >>I am able to start ONLY one instance at a time
and connect to it.
> >>BUT, I want both instances 'ORCL' and 'PROD'
running on the same
> >>machine at the same time.
> >>
> >>Any suggestion ?
> >>

> >You need more physical memory or to reduce the
size of your SGA's - how big
> >are they ??
> >
> >Alex

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 18 1999 - 13:50:25 CDT