Re: Why doesn't Oracle run at 100 percent processor time on queries??

From: Stilian Elenkov <elenkovs_at_vtls.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:33:37 -0400

Michael Keppler wrote:

> Hello everybody !
>
> We have a dedicated Oracle 8 Server running on NT. Sometimes we run many
> queries in one transaction or use queries that need some seconds to

Even is the result set for the queries is in memory (no reading from disk) a 3MB result set would take a few clicks to be returned over a 10Mbs network (less over 100Mbs).

> process. And I never see the percent processor time higher than maybe 30
> or 40 percent. And its not because of disk performance, the raid set is
> only sometimes reading or writing.
>
> How can I get Oracle using all the available processor time?

If Oracle needs all the CPU it would use it all. I have seen many of our 2, 4, 8 CPU machines pegged when running certain tasks. Be happy that you do not use all your CPU, cos then you either need a faster one and/or more of them.

Stilian