Re: Having 2 instances running simultaneously

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:58:30 GMT

In article <7pe8al$m33$1_at_gatekeeper.ornano.kapt.com>,   "Fred Ruffet" <fruffet_at_kaptech.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm actually trying to set up a base with 2 instances, and I still
have
> problems accessing them trough the listener. Server is version 8 for
linux.
> I have created two instance which seems to work (I can run sqlplus
sessions
> on the two instances simultaneously on the local machine), but I have
> problems when I try to access them with windows clients. I can't
connect to
> the two databases at the same time. Only the one which corresponds to
the
> user I've launched the listener with can be accessed. The other
returns the
> following error : ora 01034.
>
> Does anybody see what it means ? I believe I've set correctly my
listener
> configuration, but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --
>
> Frédéric Ruffet - fruffet_at_kaptech.com

IF two responses show up on this it is becasue DejaNews sent me to the login screen again when I hit send on the reply.

Fred, the Oracle 01034 error normally means Oracle is not running, i.e., started. In your case did you configure the listener to listen for both instances. Normally you would need to have an entry like: SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =

      (SID_NAME = UAT1)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /oracle/oracle)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = UT1)
      (ORACLE_HOME = /ora805/oracle)

    )
and on VMS you need to add
(PROGRAM = disk$oracle:[oracle.ora715.network.admin] orasrv_netv2_aph1.com)
to identify the program that starts an Oracle session. You may need one or both of these.

I hope this helps or at least points you toward your answer.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 18 1999 - 10:58:30 CDT