Re: Making duplicate database

From: Jeff Hunter <jeffh_at_btitelecom.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:13:30 -0400

There's really two ways you can do it.

  1. Setup your new server with the same mount points as your existing server. When you are ready to migrate, shut down the database and copy the files from one machine to the other leaving them in the EXACT same location. When this process is done, you should be able to just start your server up. If you are using a different IP than the first server, you will have to adjust your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files.
  2. Create an empty database on the new machine. Verify that Oracle is up and working by creating a test database. Create another database with the same name and parameters of your source database. You can then create all the tablespaces, users, etc. that you will need and position them where you want. When everything is setup, you can run exp on the source database (make sure no users are in), copy over the .dmp file and run imp into the new database. You're done with a minimal amount of disruption to your users.

#1 is definitely the quicker solution, but I like #2 because you can correct mistakes that someone else could have made in the setup of the previous database.