Re: raw disk

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:30:10 +0100

You might like to review the 'raw vs filesystem' presentation on my web-site. Most of the work was done on HP9000.

Unless you are thinking of a very high-power system, then there is rarely any great need to use raw devices but:

  1. With Logical volume manager they are not hard to handle
  2. You can get interesting performance benefits in some cases
  3. If you are using file system you get better results using JxFS
  4. Sometimes the only speed-up you need is to have several small files instead of one large file

In answer to your specific question:

    One raw volume equates to one file - which is one chunk of a tablespace     so yes, you can store many tables on a single raw volume

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk