Re: raw devices

From: DM <dm_at_auto.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:47:21 -0400

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for answering. What I was refering to was some sort of raid 10 that you can construct on Solaris at the software level. And from the documentation we inferred that this is safer than the file system. And I still think it's true(you didn't contradict me either).It's also true that you can get a false sense of security by buying expensive raid and ups and placing your server in a room with lots of sprinklers. The theory that I read was that for the file system the OS will report completion for a write operation after writing it in cache, for a raw device after writing it to disk.
Regards,
Max Mera