Re: Installing Oracle 8.0.4 on NT

From: Xuening Sun <ba503_at_torfree.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:37:27 GMT

Hi, Carles,

 The ways of connecting to MSSQL server and Oracle database are different. On SQL server, you specify a server name when making client application connecting to your server via the DB-library. On Oracle, you have to use "SQL*Net easy configure" or "Net8 easy config" to set up database aliases for your client applications. For example, the name of your Oracle instance is ORCL. You could create a database alias called ORCL, or TEST, or PROD or any other name.

 Hope this helps.

Xuening Sun
--
Carles Bayés Martín (cbayes_at_comb.es) wrote:
: Hello,
: I've been working for a while with MS SQLServer and now I'm trying to
: install Oracle Server 8.04 on NT, but I have some problems:
: I choose typical installation and once installed I create a Database.
: The problem is that I cannot enter the database with the Enterprise
: Manager (neither the new Database and the default one: ORACLE).
: I don't know how I must write down de name of the service (I've tried
: with OracleServiceORCL, OracleStartORCL, ORCL, ORACLE,...)
: I get this message: "ora-12154 TNS couldn't resolve the service name"
: (or something similar, I don't remember it exactly).

: I need HELP

: Thank you

: Carles