Re: log_archive_dest in init.ora

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 23:23:09 -0400

Hi:

The OracleServiceSID service, by default, runs under the NT local system account. This account doesn't have any network privileges, only privileges on the local machine.

Create an NT user that has local administrator privileges and has full control of the share that you wish to write to. Then change the OracleServiceSID service to run under this user's context rather than the local system account. I believe this will do the trick. You'll be able to specify the UNC name of the share (ie. \\computername\c\arclog) as the log_archive_dest parm.

I haven't actually tried this for writing archive logs, but I have used it to do recovery using archive logs that are on a remote machine. I don't know any reason that it won't work, but if it doesn't, send me a note.

Also, you might want to consider writing archive logs to a remote machine carefully. If the network drops or the remote machine drops, the database will hang until it can write the archive logs. Oracle8 has a feature to allow you to duplex archive logs to a remote machine, but you can also specify what it should do if it can't write them (wait, skip it, etc.). With Oracle7, you can only write to one location from Oracle (although you could use NT file replication to copy them somewhere else), so it will simply wait.

Regards,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original music? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult