Re: Bitmap index limits concurency

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 22:46:07 -0400

Hi Mark:

B-tree indexes are maintained on each transaction to their associated table, so concurrent updates are fine. Bitmap indexes, however, aren't maintained until you perform a commit. The data to be maintained is accumulated in (I believe) a memory segment in that session's memory, then applied to the index when the commit is issued. They work fine with single-threaded batch changes, but concurrent changes from multiple session will generate locking issues.

Jonathan's answer is also right on the money.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original music? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult