Re: OCP Exams & Self Test Software

From: D Parent <dgparent_at_nb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:13:10 -0300

Well I sure am glad to find out the industry consensus is that the = Certification is useless after all the time and effort I have devoted to = passing the first 3 Exams. When I first inquired about this back in = February no-one in this newsgroup seemed to have any negative comments, = unfortunately I have been in Bosnia since then and have not been able to = keep up. Well at least I have, or will have, a piece of paper saying I = am Certified. It seems to me that this would be a good start towards = finding employment at the entry level any way. Between my certification = and my use of Oracle 7 Server for WinNT on my personal computer I hope = someone gives me a chance to prove my worth. Hopefully the MS newsgroup = will be more forth coming with regards to the worth of the MSDBA = certification.
D Parent

  Paul Apollo <papollo_at_abacus.bates.edu> wrote in message = news:37B86F3E.FA694994_at_abacus.bates.edu...   This is precisely the reason I asked if the exams and certification = were both worth pursuing. The consensus is that unless you're an HR = type looking to hire Oracle people, the certification is pretty much = useless. I received many notes off-group relating the same sentiment. = Thanks for the warning.
  Martin wrote:

    Your lack of experience - yet ability to pass the test , is not a = reflection

    on the
    quality of the STSware exams - more a reflection of the low level at = which

    the
    certification exams are pitched.
    I speak as a certified DBA and Developer with over 13years = experience of

    Oracle
    in real life! I make no slight on your personal ability - only on = the

    farcical nature of
    the Oracle Certifications - if they are to be taken seriously in the =

    industry, they need
    to be seriously re-visited by those responsible for creating them.

    Hope your listening ORACLE.

    --
    Regards
    Martin Jones

    OCP - DBA
    OCP - Application Developer
    Doug Parent <dgparent_at_nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message     news:7osjjk$dla$1_at_garnet.nbnet.nb.ca...
> I passed the first 2 exams in the Oracle DBA tract using the =
Oracle

> Certification Guide and the STSWare Practice questions. Before =
February of

> this year I had never even heard of Oracle and had, and still =
don't have,

> any practical experience using it, I think this speaks volumes for =
the

> STSWare practice questions they are worth every penny.
> Van Messner <vmessner_at_netaxis.com> wrote in message
> > I have used the NETG/Oracle CDs. The sample questions on the =
disks are

> very
> > like the questions on the tests. There are four CDs - one for =
each of

    the
> > exams. I have an Oracle 7 set for sale at $1100. A new set =
from Oracle

> > runs around $2500.
> >
> > Van
> >
> > Sunny <sunnyj_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there anyone who has used the Self Test Software for =
practice exams

  --
  Paul Apollo
  Bates College Information Services