Re: Auto starting multiple databases

From: <volleyball_at_ntr.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 16:33:27 GMT

Ahhhhhhhhh the password sync issue - this may be your problem -

When you defined the DB using ORADIM80 the internal password was lets say xxxxxxx. Then, you changed SYS and SYSTEM to yyyyyyy (or not). Then you stoped the db and restarted and it looks ok in control panel, but the database is in nomount mode. You can manually start the DB using the startup command. correct?

The issue is the internal and sys password are not the same. I can successfully duplicate this and have (inadvertently) many times. The easy fix is to set sys and system to xxxxxxx before your first shutdown. Now what you must do is this. Use ORADIM80 to delete the service entry. Don't worry, your db files are ok. delete the password file. You will need to unhide it. It is in the same dir as your pfile or the %oracle_home%\database directory. Then recreate the service. Change sys and system to xxxx. and you are ok. Shut down and restart your db. After this you can change sys and system to yyyyyy.

Weird huh? I demoed this several times to and Oracle Performance guy before he would believe me.

Hope this helps..

Doug Coan
Senior Client Server Integrator
AEGONUSA
"Live to Learn and Learn to Live"

On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 12:53:16 -0700, "wozi" <wozi_at_dhc.net> wrote:

>Oracle 8.05 on NT 4.0:
>I have installed the starter database('ORCL'). I also created another
>database('PROD'). When NT starts, the ORCL instance as well as the database
>starts automatically. As for the PROD instance, the services starts in the
>control panel, BUT the database is not started.
>
>The strtprod.cmd file which starts the database is correct.
>Now, I am having to go MS DOS prompt and set oracle_sid=PROD,
>start svrmgr30 and then startup the database. I am able to have both
>databases running.
>
>BUT, I would like to have them start automatically. Is this possible?
>Copy tyc77_at_hotmail.com in your response.

Doug Coan
Senior Client Server Systems Integrator DCoan_at_aegonusa.com
"Live to Learn and Learn to Live" Received on Sun Aug 15 1999 - 11:33:27 CDT