Oracle/JDBC Confusion

From: Jon <conqaaz_at_blueskyweb.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 01:02:13 GMT

Hello ...

I'm having big problems here. I think I am just too stupid for all of this. Grateful if someone would offer some comment on my dilemma.

The Server:
DOS 6.22, Netware 5, Running Oracle8 for Netware

The Client:
 Win98, connecting to Oracle8 over TCP/IP (not real sure about all this listener or tns stuff ... very confusing).

The goal is to have an Oracle database running on the server, and and to design a Java application that will run on the client side. I am using Symantec Visual Cafe Database Edition. It's the only development tool I have access to at the moment, but I'm thinking it is too complex for me to figure out. Maybe I should consider something else.

One thing I am very confused about is the JDBC driver. I'm clueless which to use, although from reading it seems like JDBC Thin driver JDK 1.1 would be the way to go. The documenation is very poor (all of it ... Novell, Oracle, Symantec!!). I don't know where to put the drivers, or how to use them. I tried ... but cannot get anything to work. This file class111.zip, and/or classes111.zip ... is THIS the driver????

I can work on the database from the client side using SQL*Worksheet. But I cannot even get a test program to connect to the database. I get messages like "Cannot find the database driver classes," "Cannot connect to this database; java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver."

I tried both the (alleged) driver that came with the Novell CD, and downloaded one from Oracle. I put them in a directory on the client called Orawin95/jdbc/lib, and included the driver in my classpath. I import in the Java code java.sql.* I use oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDrivers as the driver ... the program doesn't seem to like this. I use jdbc:oracle:thin:@200.200.200.1:1521:orcl as the database URL.

Any help would be appreciated ... I'm about ready to hire someone to show me what to do so I can get rolling!

L8r,
Jon Received on Sat Aug 14 1999 - 20:02:13 CDT