Re: Oracle 7.3.2.2 - Login taking forever

From: Florin David <florind_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 23:21:29 -0600

The problem is due to a faulty tracing mechanism. Related bugs are (if I'm not mistaken) 443047,374964,387175.
Solution:
1) At the unix prompt: (If in ksh you can do it in one line) EPC_DISABLED=TRUE
export EPC_DISABLED
This will disable the tracing for you in the current session. 2) Add the above two lines to /etc/profile, so everyone will be exporting the above value of this variable.
This will disable the tracing for everyone that logs into the machine and then goes to sqlplus.
3) Add in the listener.ora file, in the SID__LIST_listener clause, just after the ORACLE_HOME=... line:
(ENVS='EPCS_DISABLED=TRUE')
This will ensure that the tracing will be disabled also for those coming in through SQL*NET, wirthout logging into the machine. 4) Remove from the directory $ORACLE_HOME/otrace/admin the files process.dat and regid.dat
(In fact you'll see that this files have grown to a significant size. It seems that any login to sqlplus reads these files and then adds an entry into them and that's why the problem gets worse over time.) 5) Run $ORACLE_HOME/bin/otrccref (this step is deemed very important by Oracle, and in fact if you skip it, every logon to sqlplus will result in a core dump!)

Finally, it's supposed to have been fixed in Oracle 8.0.4.3 and on.

I hope this helps,
Florin