Building OCI libraries into a "common distribution"

From: Sundar Raman <cybertoast_at_mindless.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 18:31:03 -0500

Platform: Solaris 2.6
Oracle 8.0.5

Is there a way to distribute the Oracle library files as shared libraries, but as a "package" that the user can install as part of the installation of my application? Thus far, I've been statically building my binaries to include the Oracle libraries, but it seems like a waste of bandwidth and time to do this for every minor fix in my code. Since the Oracle files do not change, there should not be any need to repeatedly distribute a huge binary.

If I compile using shared libraries, the binary to my app is about 900KB. If I use static linking, it blows up to about 13MB.

Thanks a lot.

[Forgive me if this is not the forum for this question since it is more programming oriented, but this seemed like a good place to start.] Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 18:31:03 CDT