Re: Oracle Access Manager for AS/400

From: Dan Knott <dankno_at_saif.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:54:00 -0700

It's been a while since I used it, but..

It seems like the installation was pretty straight forward. There is a tnsnames.ora that you have to configure. You also have to configure a remote database definition for SQL 400 to use. You create the remote database definition with a CL command and use a program out of the Access Manager library to process the requests sent to the remote database link. The installation guide is pretty straight forward. There may be one at technet.oracle.com you can access.
We had to do a chgjob ccsid(37) and add the Access Manager library to the executing job library list before connecting to the remote database. In an interactive session, the connection is persistent. The initial connect is slow, but it speeds up after that.

We had some problems using embedded SQL from non-ILE Cobol with it, but the developers weren't really invested in it's success. I imagine it would be OK with ILE Cobol or RPG packages and developers that are used to embedded SQL. We also had the transparent gateway, so I generally pushed data from Oracle or used Oracle client tools rather than the AM for non OLTP work.