Re: Should I Defragment on RAID?

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:16:00 -0700

Bill

I think your confusion over the index scans is because David left out one key word - "unnecessary". If you change his sentence to read " If your application is doing a large percentage of unnecessary full table scans, you should be able to get quite a considerable performance boost by doing some indexing.", it makes sense.

Secondly, the multiple extents thing is one that you see every so often as a performance problem, and it's not. Here's the detailed reasoning, direct from the keyboard of Cary Millsap, the guy that wrote the OFA and heads up Oracle's System Performance Group:

The issue of multiple extents in Oracle never was a problem. There are a couple of theories on why people used to think they were a problem (including, e.g., that evidently multiple extents was a problem in the mainframe world, where a lot of early Oracle adopters came from). The two hypotheses in which I believe the most strongly are:

I've just about unloaded everything I have on the topic. I can summarize the key bits of understanding as follows:

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete