Determining the total "cost" for a session

From: David Hawkins <davidsp_at_dmotorworks.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 07:39:53 GMT

I am trying to determine a "cost beacon" or total cost for a session. We have several thousand data batch processing jobs that we process every day. Each job processes a different amount of data and the performance hit the database takes is varies quite a bit per job. In an effort to load balance the jobs amongst several worker databases, I would like to try and form some sort of "beacon cost" history for each job every day. Since each job processes basically the same amount of data each day, a historical record of this "beacon cost" will tell me which jobs to group together so that we may effectively load balance our servers.

The question I have is how to form this beacon which represents a session's total cost. I know I can look at the v$sesstat and v$sess_io tables and find out various statistics like physical reads, block reads, consistent gets, etc. What do you think would be the best way to try and combine the data to figure out an arbitrary number which represents the estimated cost of the batch session.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
--David Received on Fri Aug 13 1999 - 02:39:53 CDT