Re: Run Oracle DB Server on NT or UNIX ?

From: Chith Eshwaran <chith_eshwaran_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:59:58 +1000

Sizing machines for database applications needs several other input parameters, but I will use some reasonably arbitrary assumptions.

That you are not looking for substantial growth in users, DB size. If so, NT boxes will be adequate. Unix boxes are only needed for much larger
transaction rates, or if you have other needs eg. high availability, etc.

That the 100 concurrent users run approximately 2 transactions/minute, each of which has complexity equivalent to 20 SQL commands.

That database size is 20GB.

That the application is programmed in 4GL, and that most of the logic is in the server rather than in the clients.

Such a requirement can be easily handled by NT4.0 based Intel Servers.

A typical PII 400MHz based NT 4.0 server with 2 CPUs and about 1GB RAM should adequately handle this requirement. Many of the server boxes allow up to 4 CPUs, so a lot more can be handled.

These are very rough guidelines; you would need to do a more rigorous specification of your requirements and discuss with one of the reputed companies's sales consultant to size your box more accurately.

Contact Oracle; there is a web-based hardware sizing application that you may be able to get access to. I work for HP; they may also be able to help you - contact your local sales office.

Regards - Chith