Re: CREATE TABLESPACE - SOLUTION

From: Pete Sharman <psharman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:55:25 -0700

John

There is common sense in this (believe it or not!). If we automatically allowed new functionality to be used, it could cause problems if you later needed to downgrade for some reason and you'd used some new functionality. Downgrading would then be made much more difficult. If, however, we allow you to change the compatible parameter yourself when you're happy there's no need to downgrade, it makes more sense. The result is that (except in a particular release where they changed their minds on this in Development) the compatible parameter either defaults to 7.0.13 or something silly like that, or it defaults to a null. The decision to use new functionality is then yours to make, and hopefully make sensibly.

HTH. Pete

--
Regards

Pete