Re: Raw Devices

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_hbsrx.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:39:11 -0400

Tom Baker wrote in message <7oqi1o$pni$1_at_autumn.news.rcn.net>...
>Hi:
>
>I am an ex Sybase DBA and new to Oracle. In Sybase you use raw
devices for
>performance and safety of your data from server failures.
>
>I have read that Oracle is betten on cooked files. Is this
true? Any
>suggestions?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tom
>tcbaker_at_erols.com

It depends. If you are running without an LVM raw files will usually give you better performance. When running with an LVM results appear to be mixed.

Unless you are running Oracle Parallel Server you need not use raw devices.

Based on your comment it would appear that Oracle is "operating system-friendly" when compared to Sybase since Oracle runs quite well with cooked files.

regards
Jerry Gitomer Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 12:39:11 CDT