Re: Should I Defragment on RAID?

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:15:31 -0400

Hi Bill:

Contrary to some beliefs, the number of extents in a segment is not necessarily equivalent to the level of fragmentation of the segment. See the article on the site below under Performance -> Storage.

If your application is doing a large percentage of full table scans, you should be able to get quite a considerable performance boost by doing some indexing. (We're talking 5, 10, 20, sometimes even 100-200 times faster for individual queries.) AND access by index if immune to table fragmentation (if you define "fragmentation" as scattered empty space within a segment, which, IMHO, is the correct definition).

Good luck,

--
David C. Sisk
Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm Like original music? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult