Re: COMPATIBLE parameter not being read...why?

From: Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:07:31 GMT

Fascinating. My online docs have a different wording for cause #4 than yours. Yours sounds correct. This was pasted in from mine:

Case 4: An attempt was made to drop a rollback segment that is currently online to use unlimited extents.

I took your advice about re-creating the rollback segments with larger extent sizes.

Thanks,
Christopher

Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote in message news:37b2d820.5141963_at_newshost.us.oracle.com...
> A copy of this was sent to "Christopher Allen"
<progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:54:34 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >I was editing the right init.ora file for the instance I was using, but
your
> >question got me to thinking, because the database has multipe instances.
> >Checking the UNIX environment, I determined that a different instance was
> >specified in the ORACLE_SID environment variable.
> >
> >So I edited the init.ora file for that instance, and the problem went
away.
> >Of course, a new one appeared. The problem I'm running into is rollback
> >segments that are failing to extend (ORA-01562: failed to extend rollback
> >segment number 2; ORA-01628: max # extents (121) reached for rollabck
> >segment). When I try to increase the number of extents the rollback
segment
> >can use, I get the following error msesage:
> > ORA-01545: rollback segment 'RBS_NAME_HERE' specified not available
> >
> >The Oracle documentation for this error message is useless. It states
four
> >cases in which the message can appear: the first two are when one is
trying
> >to bring an offline RBS online, and the other two are when one is trying
> >drop a RBS. Neither of these is the case here.
> >
> >If you have any thoughts about what could be causing this, I'd sure like
> >hear about it.
>
> Actually - it was the fourth operation about altering a rollback segement
to use
> maxextents that was getting you:
>
> 01545, 00000, "rollback segment '%s' specified not available"
> // *Cause: Either:
> // 1) An attempt was made to bring a rollback segment online that
is
> // unavailable during startup; for example, the rollback
segment
> // is in an offline tablespace.
> // 2) An attempt was made to bring a rollback segment online that
is
> // already online. This is because the rollback segment is
> // specified twice in the ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS parameter in the
> // initialization parameter file or the rollback segment is
already
> // online by another instance.
> // 3) An attempt was made to drop a rollback segment that is
> // currently online.
> // 4) An attempt was made to alter a rollback segment that is
> // currently online to use unlimited extents.
> // *Action: Either:
> // 1) Make the rollback segment available; for example, bring an
> // offline tablespace online.
> // 2) Remove the name from the ROLLBACK_SEGMENTS parameter if the
name
> // is a duplicate or if another instance has already acquired
the
> // rollback segment.
> // 3) Bring the rollback segment offline first. This may involve
> // waiting for the active transactions to finish, or, if the
> // rollback segment needs recovery, discover which errors are
> // holding up the rolling back of the transactions and take
> // appropriate actions.
> // 4) Same as 3).
>

> Unbeknownst to you, setting extents over 121 for the RBS is like setting
> unlimited extents. You were hitting #4 above. You must offline it.
consider:

> SQL> alter rollback segment r04 storage ( maxextents 200 );
> alter rollback segment r04 storage ( maxextents 200 )
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01545: rollback segment 'R04' specified not available
>

> SQL> alter rollback segment r04 offline;
>
> Rollback segment altered.
>
> SQL> alter rollback segment r04 storage ( maxextents 200 )
> 2 /
>
> Rollback segment altered.
>
> SQL> alter rollback segment r04 online;
>

> although, unless you have unlimited_rollback_segments set in your init.ora
you
> may receive:
>
> SQL> alter rollback segment r04 storage (maxextents 200);
> alter rollback segment r04 storage (maxextents 200)
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01681: Parameter unlimited_rollback_segments must be set to TRUE for
this
> operation
> ORA-02226: invalid MAXEXTENTS value (max allowed: 121)
>

> telling you to set the unlimited_rollback_segments....
>

> HOWEVER: if your rbs is going over 121 extents, i would suggest DROPPING
it and
> recreating it with larger extent sizes. (you'll have to offline it to
drop it
> as well)
>

> >Thanks for your assistance,
> >Christopher
> >

> --
> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June
21'st

> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 19:07:31 CDT