Re: Index rebuilding behavior

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 21:46:18 +0100

It seems you have two indexes of the same name. Try selecting the owner with the rest of the segment name to find out who owns the index that has been built in the V_IDS_INDEX tablespace.

Your Oracle block size appears to be 8K, and you won't see an extent fof 256K because Oracle usually rounds up to multiples of 5 blocks (and then may take a spare few) when allocating extents, so 280 K is the 'natural' size of an extent if you specify 256K with an 8K block size.

I am slightly puzzled by the 320K extent, because I would thought Oracle only grabbed extra fragments if this stopped a free extent of LESS THAN 5 blocks being left behind - it looks from your example as if that should be LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO 5 blocks - I'll have to check that.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk