Re: Oracle 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 upgrade

From: <sunk_at_focushope.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:38:50 GMT

In article <7orocn$2oi$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   tobyed2_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im having a problem upgrading from 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 (yes, I know
> political reasons for a client) on Sun Solaris (probably irrelevant).
> Basically the upgrade has gone through and Ive "Upgraded Database
> Objects" also I havent installed any new products, I chose to keep the
> old ORACLE_HOME.
>
> When I try shutting down the database it reports ORA-00201 control
> file version incompatible with ORACLE version. The error message in
the
> manual indicates "nums" in the error message but I get none. Before
> upgrading database objects I moved the old control files to the new
> ORACLE_HOME and modified parameter files etc, started the database.
>
> Also as far as I understand all control files should be the same
size
> ? I have 3 all varying in size.
>
> I know theres something Im missing ?!?
>
> Regards
>
> Toby

Hi Toby,

According to <Oracle7 Installation Guide Release 7.3.4 for Sun SPARC Solaris 2.x(A55980-01)> p6-9-16, you might not want do "BEFORE upgrading database objects I moved the old control files to the new ORACLE_HOME and modified parameter files etc, STARTED the database"(if we are using the same manual)

If you don't feel comfortable with 3 control files(they should be mirrored) just use one(before upgrade comment out the rest 2 in your initsid.ora and restart db). This will not solve your problem but at least you will not have 3 of them in different size(which is definitely unacceptable).

I just did 2 upgrades 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 on Sun SPARC Solaris 2.5.1(with seperate $ORACLE_HOME) this month(one single db, another run with Oracle Application 10.7). They were all working fine. Working notes available upon request(will need your email address to send the attachment).

My suggestion is start over again, do it step by step by the book. If you still have this problem call the support(they are good at this kind of issue, hope your company has the contract).

Good luck, Kurt.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Aug 11 1999 - 11:38:50 CDT