Re: Replication or Database Link ?

From: Ramanarao Chamarty <rchamart_at_thunder.temple.edu>
Date: 11 Aug 1999 15:53:11 GMT

Based on the scenario, db_links would be appropriate for reasons you mentioned. Also can have permissions set to select/insert/update/delete on those tables as desired. Let us know what was implemented finally.

Ramanarao Chamarty
rchamart_at_temple.edu

tsalzsie_at_hotmail.com wrote:

: I would like to ask you for your advice regarding the following
: scenario:
: We have two databases where database CALLDB is accessed by call center
: agents during normal office hours. The second database WEBDB is accessed
: by internet users. Both parties basically work on the same table MEMBER
: where they change data like addresses, phone-numbers, etc.
: During night, we run a large batch job and load up to 5 million rows via
: sqlldr into the table MEMBER. In other words, at night the data is
: not accessed by the call center, but internet folks obviously still
: work with the database (performance!!). This whole scenario applies not
: only to the specified MEMBER table, but also to some other tables.
:
: Now, the question. How do we achieve the requirements that
: - the data must be synchronized instantially (call center must access
: basically the same data as the web user, thus real-time synchronization
: between WEBDB and CALLDB)
: - security
: - performance (limit network traffic)
:
: We were thinking about two possible solutions.
: A. Synchronous Replication
: - almost real-time
: - high network traffic, performance might be a bottleneck
: - high effort to implement (setup, conflict resolution, etc.)
: - handling of large batch job imports still a open issue
: B. Database link
: - high availiablity of either one of the solutions is not guaranteed
: - simple to implement
: - handling of large batch job import also an open issue
:
: We would appreciate any comments, experience reports, recommendations.
:
: Thanks in advance, Timo.
:
:
: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Share what you know. Learn what you don't.