Re: something wrong with my dmp file

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 02:12:37 GMT

I do this all the time (export from Sun Solaris, import to Windows NT, vice-versa).

From the Oracle8i Utilities Manual:

"Export provides a simple way for you to transfer data objects between Oracle databases, even if they reside on platforms with different hardware and software configurations. Export extracts the object definitions and table data from an Oracle database and stores them in an Oracle binary-format Export dump file located typically on disk or tape."

If you're attempting to read this in WordPad, it is normal to get back a bunch of garbage characters since this is a binary file...no different than if you edited an EXE file on Windows.

When you moved your export file from one computer to another, did you use ftp? If so, did you transfer in binary mode?

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:10:38 -0400, Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com> wrote:

>Did you attempt to use import the file with the same OS that you created it
>with? Exports are not portable on a binary basis. If you import across the
>network to a client exp on an NT work station then you must perform the
>import the same way. You can't create a file with NT and then expect to read
>it with imp under UNIX.
>
>shockerman_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
>> I did a full database export from my one database because I wanted to
>> move it to another computer. While trying to import, I've been having
>> problems, getting errors saying "line not recognized" I opened up the
>> dmp file in wordpad and many of the lines are showing up with weird
>> characters like boxes and numbers and weird y's. I'm not sure if Wordpad
>> is just not picking up some ascii characters or if the file is corrupt.
>> Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it.
>> James
>> itabl7up_at_yahoo.com
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 21:12:37 CDT