COMPATIBLE parameter not being read...why?

From: Christopher Allen <progplusSPAMBEGONE_at_gte.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:47:27 GMT

I'm trying to perform a simple DDL operation that my Solaris Oracle 7.3.4.0.1 server is refusing to run, citing a problem with its COMPATIBLE parameter. The thing is: its COMPATIBLE parameter is actually fine.

The problem appears when I run this command: CREATE TABLE T2     C1 NUMBER NOT NULL,
    C2 VARCHAR2(30) NULL,
    C3 DATE NULL,
    CHECK (C1 IS NOT NULL)
  )
  PCTFREE 10
  PCTUSED 40
  INITRANS 1
  MAXTRANS 255
  STORAGE (
  INITIAL 1024K
  NEXT 1024K
  MINEXTENTS 1
  MAXEXTENTS 2147483645
  PCTINCREASE 1)
 ;

The response is:
  CHECK (C1 IS NOT NULL)
         *
ERROR at line 5:
ORA-00406: COMPATIBLE parameter needs to be 7.3.0.0.0 or greater

The COMPATIBLE parameter *is* greater than 7.3.0.0.0. Here is the line from the initORCL.ORA file:

    compatible = 7.3.4.0

I would appreciate ANY ideas about what could be causing this problem. Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 11:47:27 CDT