3000-4000 users on 7.3.4 -- Any advice?

From: Michael Benveniste <mike.benveniste_at_fmr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:33:48 -0400

I'm looking to deploy a third party product that doesn't do any connection pooling. As a result, there may well be 3000 to 4000 users connections to the database during busy times. The good news is that transaction rates are fairly low. The bad news is that I'll probably only be able to simulate 1000 users for testing. The target server configuration is a Sun 4500 running Solaris 2.6.

  1. Given a constant total number and variety of queries and updates, how much worse can I expect the system to perform than with, 1000 connections? Assume I can cover the memory overhead.
  2. What tuning changes would you recommend for such a beast?

Thanks in advance!
--
Michael Benveniste -- mike.benveniste_at_fmr.com

Any comments or statements made are not necessarily those of Fidelity Investments, its subsidiaries, or affiliates. Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 11:33:48 CDT