Re: Q: DBMS_OUTPUT display while processing?

From: <tedchyn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:04:50 GMT

In article <37afcc11.6058071_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> A copy of this was sent to ewong74_at_netscape.net
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 23:23:56 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a large PL/SQL package with 20 procedures within the package.
> >The purpose of the package is do some batch process which will take
> >about 10 hours.
> >
> >I tried to have DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE in every single procedure to
print
> >out the status so that I can monitor each process(to see if there is
> >errors) while the package is still running. However, the DBMS_OUTPUT
> >didn't display until the whole package is done. This is very
annoying.
> >Is there any work around?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Ed
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>
> dbms_output cannot be display until the procedure is done executing.
>
> one option that works very well is the dbms_application_info. this
allows you
> to set values in the v$session table (to tell where you are) and in
8.0 and up,
> to put many rows in the V$SESSION_LONGOP table with the
> dbms_application_info.set_session_longops procedure. these rows are
visible
> immediately (no commit needed) so they are perfect for monitoring
long running
> procedures from any terminal (a simple query shows the status of a
long running
> procedure that has calls to dbms_application_info in it)....
>
> --
> See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated
June 21'st

> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation

Thomas, Can you give us an example for how to use dbms_application_info.set_session_longops procedure ? Thanks Ted Chyn(tedchyn_at_yahoo.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 10:04:50 CDT