Re: 8i Java Port

From: <tsalzsie_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:33:05 GMT

Ritchie,

in fact, you should consider redesigning your whole system architecture since it doesn't make any sense to download the mentioned jars to your browser. I highly recommend to utilize an n-tier approach instead of pure client/server where your client is as thin as possible and communicates with the business logic only via HTTP. For instance, we currently build a large web-based system where the web-browser is fed by some servlets. The servlets (running on Apache JServ, but you can use any servlet-enabled application server) communicate with the database via IIOP and talk to EJB's in the database. I believe this is a very elegant and state-of-the-art approach.

Hope this helps, T.

"http://developer.netscape.com/docs/technote/security/prefwrangler.html"
> to Preference Wrangler and enable all security.
>
> tsalzsie_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Ritchie,
> >
> > well, quite a lot of questions you have and I try to give you a
short
> > overview what Oracle's Java strategy is all about.
> >
> > Oracle's JVM supports currently two middleware technologies to
access
> > "objects" in the database: Corba and EJB.
> > You can access objects written for both technologies via JNDI (Java
> > Naming and Directory Interface). The EJB sits in reality on top of
the
> > CORBA implementation which means that the protocol used by Oracle is
> > IIOP. Although Oracle supports currently only Java clients to access
the
> > objects in the database you should choose CORBA in case you plan to
have
> > access to the objects using some other programming language like
C++.
> [...]
> > connection handling (JNDI) and it's hard to say since I don't know
your
> > application, your method invocation. EJB and CORBA basically work
like
> > RPC in the old days and you can transfer serialized objects between
the
> > methods.
> >
> > I suggest that you have a look at technet.oracle.com for some
examples
> > how to work with EJB or CORBA and further to have a detailled look
at
> > the Corba and EJB programming manual also downloadable from
> > technet.oracle.com.
> >
> > Hope this helps a bit, T.
> >
> > In article <37AB6976.3AB6C708_at_utouch.com>,
> > ritchie turner <rmturner_at_utouch.com> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have an internet application which utilizes a java client and
java
> > > middleware. The client talks to the middleware with Java sockets
and
> > the
> > >
> > > middleware talks to 8i with JDBC, I have implemented the stored
procs
> > in
> > >
> > > PL/SQL. I am an Oracle newbie.
> > >
> > > I'm looking to make this setup more scaleable, in particular it is
my
> > > hope to bring my middleware right into the database. The
performance
> > > data I have seen regards the aurora jvm looks impressive and I
want to
> > > harness this scalability.
> > >
> > > Now, I need to know just how much of my app needs to be
> > re-architected.
> > > Of course I am hoping I can just jar my middleware and loadjava
and
> > > magically I have superior scalability but I fear this is not going
> > be
> > >
> > > the case. I can see to start with I want to implement my PL/SQL
in
> > > Java, I know this is slower until the native compiler comes out,
but I
> > > can live with that.
> > >
> > > The oracle docs say ....
> > >
> > > sockets are not persistant over calls (something to do with the
> > > presentation layer which I know nothing about)
> > > utilise EJBs for scalability for remote connections (I know
nothing)

> > > Does this mean that although sockets are there it's actually best
not

> > > use them ... because they doen't have the same sematics as normal
> > > sockets?
> > >
> > > Currently my middleware and client talk to each other by passing
> > > serializable objects over the socket but now I think that this
> > protocol
> > > probably vanishes and method calls are probably utilised directly
on a
> > > remote object in the context of an oracle session?
> > >
> > > If someone could give me some advice on this I'd be grateful (you

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Tue Aug 10 1999 - 08:33:05 CDT