Re: Database creation

From: W. <dump10_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 23:56:27 +0200

Hi Oliver,

First:
Oracle splits up the datafiles for several reasons: (1) for security issues: you can place several files on different disks to avoid data loss
(2) performance issues: imagine you place an index (physically) on a differnt hard disk than the datafiles
etc.

Second:
I don't know *.odb Files

Third:
Control Files store information about the database-structur (where are the different files located, etc.) They have nothing to do with your *.odb File (whatever this is)

I think I can't tell you how to set up an oracle-database in a short way (but if it is a small database just install a sample database and start form using this one...) I suggest - to read the ORACLE Database Administrators Guide

Oracle provieds tools to load data into an existing database: (1) Import/Export Tool:
You can export form an existing ORACLE Database and then import this data for example in another ORACLE Database (e.g. new version) (2) SQL*LOADER
With this tool you can load data contained in an ascii-File with a variable format (you have to define this format) into an oracle database.

good luck
-Walt-