SQL: In-line select statements

From: Martin Hoerchner <Martin_at_mhoerch.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:24:02 +0100

Oddly enough, I have never found any documentation on the use of in-line select statements (also called in-line views), i.e. the construct

select a.contact_name,

         c.customer_name
from customers c,

         (select .. etc etc)

Can anyone recommend a book which it? My main question is, when and why would you use it? What's the advantage?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Martin Hoerchner Received on Mon Aug 09 1999 - 13:24:02 CDT