Re: ok. I give up.

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 22:21:39 +0800

Pete Sharman wrote:

> David
>
> Unfortunately, the original poster required a resolution that is beyond that
> kept by the date datatype (to the millisecond). In this case, depending on
> what the requirement is you can either store the milliseconds as a separate
> number column, or if the purpose is to derive time from a specific event, the
> get_time function could be used instead which does allow millisecond
> resolution.
>
> HTH.
>
> Pete
>
> David Sisk wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > Just make you column a date datatype. Take a look at the to_char function
> > to see what you can get out of a date column.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > David C. Sisk
> > Need tech info on Oracle? Visit The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site at
> > http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/oont.htm
> > Like original music? Listen to song samples and buy a CD at
> > http://www.mp3.com/disparityofcult
> >
> > uncle.scrooge wrote in message <37AB8B37.476F2D65_at_worldnet.att.net>...
> > >
> > >Plain and simple : If I want to have a column that tracks the current
> > >time in millisecond resolution,
> > >can I do it or not? i.e. I want a timestamp, but second resolution is
> > >too "gross". What do I do if I'm importing
> > >data from a database that does have millisecond resolution in it's
> > >columns (i.e. sybase)?
> > >

> > >Do I need to create my own datatype or smth?
> > >
> > >pls help - thx
> > >

> --
> Regards
>
> Pete

> Name: psharman.vcf
> Part 1.2 Type: text/x-vcard
> Encoding: 7bit

My understanding is that get_time only gives hundreth's of a second...

There is always the time honoured classic of date column + sequence column that wraps at 1000...you then very "honestly" tell the user..

"Yep - that was the milliseconds"

:-)
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Mon Aug 09 1999 - 09:21:39 CDT