Re: Oracle Web Application Server 3.0 - recycling connections?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 12:31:06 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Miro Sarbaev" <miromail_at_ix.netcom.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:22:24 -0700, you wrote:

>All of the below is based on Oracle Web Application Server 3.0.
>
>If you go to cartridge configuration, it would let you choose minimum and
>maximum number of instances.
>In case of PL/SQL cartridge maximum number of instances will also limit the
>number of simultaneous database connections which the OWAS will make to the
>database for multiple web requests. If there would be more requests, they
>wait.
>
>However, as soon as the request is served by the database, connection
>(database connection) is closed.
>depend on the "Minimum # of Instances" parameter.
>
>Question: does anyone know if it is possible to make database connections
>'persistent'? In other words, to have a pool of connections which is always
>opened, so that the application can save some time on establishing a new
>connection?

it is already doing this. database connections, at the lowest level, have 2 steps

  1. physical connection (get my dedicated server for example, open the network)
  2. authenticate and have a session.

#1 takes longest. #2 happens fast.

the plsql cartridge, when started, does a session level connect to the database. you can verify this by using ps or some other tool on the server (database server). you'll see the backends for the plsql cartridges. You will *not* see an entry in the v$session table since they are connected but logged in.

when a request comes in it will

- authenticate
- process request
- deauthenticate

but it will stay connected to the database. it will not show up in v$session but it'll be there.

We must do this (de-authenticate) since each request might use a different userid/password AND you want to make sure each request has a 'pristine' environment in which to execute (we need to de-instantiate all plsql packages so they get started 'fresh' for the next request)..

>This is something quite common for servers other than OWAS - but I could not
>find any references on that anywhere in the OWAS documentation. Maybe OWAS 4
>has this option?
>
>Please help...
>Miro.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Aug 09 1999 - 07:31:06 CDT