Re: Which RAID level?

From: Jason Salter <jason_at_seahorse.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:08:00 GMT

Imagine you had 10 discs, you could stripe the first 5 and then mirror them (Raid 0+1). Or you could mirror 5 disks and then create a stripe across the mirrors (Raid 1+0).

With Raid 0+1, you could lose up to two disks (one from each stripe set) before your system would go down (assuming you have no hot swaps).

With Raid 1+0, you could lose up to six disks (one from each mirror pair) before your system would collapse.

I think this is the difference ;)

Regards,
Jason.