Re: Does Export Import fix screwed up indexes?

From: Michael Bierenfeld <michael.bierenfeld_at_ibsgmbh.de>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 11:25:43 +0000

"Kevin P. Fleming" wrote:

> Importing recreates the indexes, so yes, they get fixed if they have
> problems.
>
> NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote in message
> > Since we have to rebuild indexes periodically, I was wondering how
> > will export/import affect indexes. Thanx
> > Andrey Dmitriev eFax: (978) 383-5892 Daytime: (917) 373-5417
> > AOL: NetComrade ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email

Yes , Indexes will be recreated. But you should do the Import in two Steps :

  1. Import the "Export"-File without inserting the data. (Switch ROWS=NO). This will create the Tablestructures.
  2. Import the "Export" file with inserting the data on existing Table Structures. (Switch ROWS=YES IGNORE=YES COMMIT=YES BUFFER=100000). This will try to create the Tables (Errors will be IGNORED), import the Table ROWS and perform a COMMIT every 100000 BUFFER Bytes.

The reason is simple. If you perform a Import without this. Oracle creates the Tablem inserts the rows and then tries to create the Index. Depending on the amount of rows this could overload your Temporary Tablespace which is responsible for storing Temp-Information during Index creation.

Regards

Michael Received on Mon Aug 09 1999 - 06:25:43 CDT