Re: problem with select from v$session

From: Ulrik Hoffmann <ulrik_at_hoffmann-kiel.de>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:36:11 +0100

Hi,

this behaviour is absolutely correct. If you want to use a Table or View or any
other object from another user (in this case SYS) in a stored prdocedure or in a package, you need the grant of the table directly from the user or the select any table grant from SYSTEM. So grant select on v$session to <USER> instead of select any table would cause your procedure to compile as well. This behaviour exists for the following reason: if you grant execute on your procedure to another user, he'll got success on the v$session view as well, even he has not dba-rights or other rights on successing this table.
Do you see the security problem? If you give a user select grants over a role (like dba), you can be sure, that he can not create a view or procedure and grant anything on it to another user.

On SQL-Plus, you've got the grant to select on v$session over the dba-role. As already said, you need the grant directly if you want to use it in a package.
I would never grant the 'select any table' grant because of the security problem, you've got with this grant.

Hope that helped, sorry for my bad english,

Bye
Uli