Re: oracle date

From: C. Ferguson <c_ferguson_at_rationalconcepts.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 21:25:04 -0700

Hi Randall,
  since you say your data file contains two fields which doesn't have an associated data type,
programmatically, you should put the second column into a Java date/calendar type to ensure
that it really is a date. You would use the DateFormat class to accomplish this. Since your second string will sometimes contain a time portion and sometimes not, this will solve your formatting problem. You will use the to_date call to insert, but you will
always know your date format because whatever you threw into the the java date field will have
either initialized the time portion, or it will default it to 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds, so when
you pull it back out of the java date type, pull it out it with the hour, minutes, seconds.
This will solve your problem from a java point of view. Hope this helps,
Cindy