Re: rebuild tablespace HELP ORA 01652

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 18:15:52 +0200

Hi Scot,

What basically happens in creating indexes is first there is a sort in the temp segment (in the tablespace designated in the temporary tablespace of the user), then the index is being created as a temporary segment in the destination tablespace.
When creation is complete that segment is being renamed. You could easily monitor this (assuming the action will not complete in a few secs) by issuing

select segment_name, tablespace_name, extents, bytes/1024 k from dba_segments
where segment_type = 'TEMPORARY'

Your error message means you don't have enough CONTIGUOUS free space in the destination tablespace.
You could try to resolve this by alter tablespace GADGET_IDX coalesce.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA