Re: Weird DB recovery.. help needed :)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postmaster_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 08:16:01 +0200

As far as I understood his situation he moved everything: datafiles, redolog files etc.
The location of the files are in the control files. Restoring the init<SID>.ora and opening the database would result in errors , as the files have been moved.
On second thought (which I emailed to him) he should be able to issue a startup mount followed by alter database rename file 'filea' to 'fileb'.
This command renames files in the control files only, it doesn't execute the OS rename.
This is exactly what he needs.
If everything was in the original location he could just reopen and accept any loss by potentially not running in archivelog. Hope to have clarified your concerns.

Best regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA