Re: PROGRAM Column in V$SESSION

From: Paul de Anguera <nospam_at_quidnunc.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 05:49:34 GMT

In article <37A8F8EC.42D7EFB4_at_bostonbio.com>, Jeffrey Janousek <jjanousek_at_bostonbio.com> wrote:
>My database shows the executable program (PLUS33.EXE, DDE132.EXE, etc.)
>in the V$SESSION for some users, but others have a default of 'OraPgm'.
>Where does this value come from and how can I change the client
>configuration (or other) to show the correct OS product connected? The
>server machine is Solaris and the clients are Windows95.
I've seen similar behavior for column OSUSER. If the client sets variable USERNAME it shows up in OSUSER. If the client doesn't, OSUSER is set to "OraUser" as a default (what a wasted opportunity to make good use of a null value). So my guess is that your clients sometimes fail to set the program name. I have also noticed bogus program names like C:\WINDOWS\WINSOCK.DLL . Since we run a client-server system with a single executable, PSTLS.EXE, that has nothing to do with browsers, I think that can't be right.

Paul de Anguera | "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say
Reply to:       | what you want to say sometimes, so you have to
deanguer@       | rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
quidnunc.net    | - Frank Zappa