Re: oracle date

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 17:43:50 +0800

Frank Leenders wrote:

> Hello all,
> in some initialisation file it is possible to set the default presentation
> of the date datatype for an Oracle instance, most of the times set to
> dd-mmm-yy. In regard of the Y2K problem I asked our DBA's to set that
> default to dd-mm-yyyy. But they say Oracle recommends NOT to do that!?!? Is
> that true and if so, why?
> Remark: I am writing about instance level of that setting, not about the
> session setting.
> Thanks
> Frank

Take a look at Thomas's post...

Also, you may want to opt for RRRR instead of YYYY.

The downside of YYYY is if you have an app which tries to put a two digit date into it...

to_date('01-apr-99','dd-mon-yyyy') = April 1st, 0099

Ugh !

RRRR will resolve this..
--

Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue." Received on Fri Aug 06 1999 - 04:43:50 CDT