Re: Which RAID level?

From: Richard Senior <news07_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:06:43 GMT

In article <37AA31F3.D00E65CF_at_ieee.org>,

        Breno de Avellar Gomes <brenogomes_at_ieee.org> writes:
> --------------7DF4FCFAF713E3A4348801D2
>
> I am about to install high availability Oracle8i FailSafe using SMP and
> RAID Compaq Servers (Intel) running NT 4.0.
> Some DBA advised me to use RAID level 0/1, others 5. It seems to be
> controversial.
>
> Wich level is more adequate? Why should I use one instead another?

There is no 'right answer'; although using RAID 0 on a high availability system does look rather like a wrong answer.

Your choice will probably be between RAID 1 and RAID 5. The 'right' choice for you depends on your system availability and space requirements vs budget. http://www.uni-mainz.de/~neuffer/scsi/what_is_raid.html gives a few pointers.

--
Regards,

Richard Senior
London, England Received on Fri Aug 06 1999 - 04:06:43 CDT