Re: Possible to constrain a cursor?

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 05:51:00 GMT

> I use ref cursors often to push SQL statements off the clients. Once
> cursor reaches the client populated, it is at times handy to be able
> use the data present and then further constrain the cursor contents
for
> other uses, say with an additional where clause for example. Is this
> possible in any fashion, or is the cursor storage mechanism a dead-end
> as far as DML is concerned?

Hi, Have a look at the documentation of the API you are using in the front end development environment. Chances are that there is this ability.

The only problem however, is that this may force all records in a query to be transmitted into the clients memory, which may have serious performance impacts.
The best bet is to modify the query and re-execute against the db

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Aug 06 1999 - 00:51:00 CDT