Re: Oracle Performance Tuning - Tips & Techniques (Possible Error found) ?

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: 6 Aug 1999 05:33:58 GMT

Hi, kevin

As a rule of thumb, your attitude is correct. Since if you do the same work, then the "logical reads" will be the same.

According to the Oracle8 Server Tunning Manual, the new hit ratio is:

    hit ratio = 1 - (physical reads - ACH / (db block gets + consistent gets))

where ACH is the additional cache hits calculated from X$KCBRBH. Beware that ACH is not the increment of the DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS parameter.

 PS: There is no DB_DATA_BUFFERS parameter, it should be DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS.