Re: Java v. PL/SQL Stored Procedures

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 06:54:58 GMT

Hi

> We are in the process of evaluating Oracle 8i Java stored procedures.
>
> We performed some preliminary tests (simple class based on the
emp.class
> that queries a table of 50,000+ rows). Basic timings indicate that
the
> PL/SQL stored procedure is still almost twice as fast as the Java
stored
> procedure.
>
> I would like to transition to the Java stored procedures (it
definitely
> beats PL/SQL in terms of open-standards), but we cannot justify it if
> the performance is half of that of PL/SQL.

Java stored procedures are definetly something to be looking at, There has been mention of a native compiler try find out about that. Also depending on your application environment, The network may be the bottleneck, in which case the java would not be that bad.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Thu Aug 05 1999 - 01:54:58 CDT