I'm in confusion of data type definition...

From: Jimmy <c6635500_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 22:22:39 -0700

Hello all,

    I have a question about the data definition of number data type.

SQL> create table aaa (aaa number(20,5));

Table created.

TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME DATA_TYPE DATA_LENGTH DATA_PRECISION DATA_SCALE
----------------- ---------------------- --------------

------------------ ----------------------  ----------------
AAA                   AAA
NUMBER                             22
20                        5

SQL> create view bbb as select sum(aaa) sum_aaa from aaa group by aaa;

View created.

TABLE_NAME COLUMN_NAME DATA_TYPE DATA_LENGTH DATA_PRECISION DATA_SCALE

BBB                    SUM_AAA
NUMBER                              22

  1. Why the data length of AAA.AAA is 22? Default value of number data type? Is data length value is not meaningful to number data type? Only meaningful to char, varchar2, date ?
  2. Why data precision and data scale of BBB.SUM_AAA is null? How can I determine the data precision and data scale of BBB.SUM_AAA?

Thanks.
Jimmy Received on Thu Aug 05 1999 - 00:22:39 CDT