Re: Q: eXt. Procs. - callbacks

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 15:30:02 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "huh"
(if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:37:26 +0200, you wrote:

>Thomas,
>
>Thanks for your response, it is appreciated even if it makes
>me sad :-).
>
>> A copy of this was sent to "huh" -> <-
>> (if that email address didn't require changing)
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:38:04 +0200, you wrote:
>
>However I BEG you, PLEASE DON'T INCLUDE my
>e-mail address in your reply. If you wish so, please malform
>it at least to disallow spambots bombing my box (but allowing
>humans understand it)..

I took it out this time however:

Look at the raw usenet headers, your posting had these:

        charset="iso-8859-1"

the spambots go after the headers first. They'll get your email right from there. I changed it to <your email id was right here> for now.

I post lots. I put my email in there lots. In the last 2 weeks i've gotten less then 40 spams total, thats 3 or 4 a day. email filters got 99% of them.

>> In Oracle8.0, extprocs that do callbacks must use OCI.
>> In Oracle8i, release 8.1, they may use either OCI or Pro*C.
>>

>Let me ask... As far as I understand it Pro*C is a translator - it converts
>one
>text file to another text file (like standard C preprocessor), doesn't it?

yes, pro*c is a preprocessor.

>It replaces EXEC SQL lines with respective OCI calls, or am I wrong?

it replaces PROC with sqllib calls -- sqllib being sort of like OCI but different. It is an internal api that is gets translated to.

>So both executables (either written in pure OCI or Pro*C - embedded sql)
>communicate with DB engine through the OCI - is there any essential
>difference
> between OCI and Pro*C?

there are things you can do in OCI that you cannot do in pro*c (not many but some).

some people find pro*c to be more productive then oci (faster the code). some people hate the concept of a precompiler.

>I guess they extended (in O8i R8.1) Pro*C capabilities to support
>::OCIExtProcGetEnv

yes...

>TIA

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Aug 04 1999 - 10:30:02 CDT