Re: Moving an Oracle database

From: tmgn <tmgn_at_excite.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 16:01:10 -0400

Hi Darryl,
How Big is your Database ? If it is in the order of Few GB or lesser , Go for Export/Imports ( with or without Compression ..By the By what is the OS ? ) .

1.Create a New Database on the 2nd Test Server
2.Precreate the necessary Tablespaces,Users,Rollback Segments etc
3.Do the Export dump of the Schemas from U'r 1st Test Server.
4. Transfer the Export file to the 2nd Server in Binary mode via FTP.
5.Import using fromuser , touser options with destroy=y

That's it...

The 2nd option is to do a Cold Backup of the 1st DB(including the Control files,Redolog files,Parameter files etc) , Copy it over exactly to the Same Directory locations on the 2nd Server and Startup...(Ofcourse the Kernel & Memory has to be pretuned to host the Oracle Server)

-Thiru