Oracle Locks - Help

From: Ben Mackie <mackieb_at_logica.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:02:06 +0100

Peeps,

My ROW_LOCKING parameter is set as ALWAYS, on my 7.3.4 database under Solaris 2.5.1

I think that a large update may be locking an entire table, preventing other users from acessing it.

What are the circumstances under which this can happen?

I know of two only :-

  1. When a table is explicitily locked
  2. When an update to a parent table causes a child table to be locked (when there is no index on the foreign key between the two)

Neither of these seem to be case in my situation.

What else can cause an entire table to become locked?

Percentage of rows updated by a large update statement perhaps?

Any help much appreciated.

Ben. Received on Tue Aug 03 1999 - 06:02:06 CDT